Thursday, June 5, 2008

mommy, I want a bicycle






When was the last time you heard a child say, "Mommy, I want a bicycle!"? Well, I just heard it. The three year old playing in that limited play area called up to his mother and said, "Mommy, look at Arvind's bicycle. I want one. Please!"

When I was in school, I had a bicycle and would sometimes take it to the school. At college, I had a luna which my father gave away after I met with three accidents in a row. Now, I take a bus to office and I see a lot of cars and motor vehicles on the road. People who can afford a vehicle seldom walk (Believe me! Bangalore is no place to walk). And when they do, they do it to reach the bus stop, like I do.

As I write this, I can not stop wondering what the kid would want to ride/drive after he grows up. I have begun to think about the rising fuel prices and higher rates of inflation looming over our economy. I can not but wonder why none of us has ever thought of commuting short distances on a cycle like people used to hardly six years ago. Should I go out and buy one of those bicycles and cancel my bus pass? How will my colleagues react? Am I fit enough to ride seven kilometers? Will I meet with an accident? How about forming a group? Who will team with me and buy a bicycle? How much does a bicycle cost these days? and on and on go the thoughts! Will I in deed buy a bicycle? is the question!