Thursday, June 5, 2008

mommy, I want a bicycle






When was the last time you heard a child say, "Mommy, I want a bicycle!"? Well, I just heard it. The three year old playing in that limited play area called up to his mother and said, "Mommy, look at Arvind's bicycle. I want one. Please!"

When I was in school, I had a bicycle and would sometimes take it to the school. At college, I had a luna which my father gave away after I met with three accidents in a row. Now, I take a bus to office and I see a lot of cars and motor vehicles on the road. People who can afford a vehicle seldom walk (Believe me! Bangalore is no place to walk). And when they do, they do it to reach the bus stop, like I do.

As I write this, I can not stop wondering what the kid would want to ride/drive after he grows up. I have begun to think about the rising fuel prices and higher rates of inflation looming over our economy. I can not but wonder why none of us has ever thought of commuting short distances on a cycle like people used to hardly six years ago. Should I go out and buy one of those bicycles and cancel my bus pass? How will my colleagues react? Am I fit enough to ride seven kilometers? Will I meet with an accident? How about forming a group? Who will team with me and buy a bicycle? How much does a bicycle cost these days? and on and on go the thoughts! Will I in deed buy a bicycle? is the question!

3 comments:

  1. Your timing couldn't have been better.... people in France (I guess those employees working in one of the French suburbs have begun to commute to and from office on bicycles... with no exception)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anu,
    This is a great idea and it had happened to me some time back and I tried to circulate this idea in the office amongst friends to gain some concensus.
    But also with it came the a few instances where in my colleagues or their relatives had tried this and failed because of them being hit by auto-rickshaws and cars also whilst they were on the extreme left of the road still.
    A separate lane for cycles could work though but it seems far from realization. I love to cycle though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for verifying your account with word verification.